Benefits of Dental Implants
On many occasions we’ve had a new patient visit our office who is missing one or more of their teeth. They come to us because it’s making them feel self-conscious about their looks, and interfering with their ability to eat and speak comfortably. One of the cosmetic dental procedures that we use to restore their smile like new again is surgically inserting dental implants. With today’s technology, the teeth attached to the implants themselves look natural and blend very nicely into a patient’s natural smile. In addition, dental implants are strong, durable, and last for many years. However, there may be times when they’ll need to be re-tightened or replaced due to normal wear-and-tear.
Why Would I Need a Dental Implant?
There are many reasons why you might need a dental implant, including:
- To support, anchor and make more comfortable an existing bridge or denture
- Replace one or more missing teeth without affecting adjacent ones
- Improve your speech, chewing comfort, and even digestion
- Boost your self-confidence with a more beautiful smile
- Restore or enhance your face’s appearance
Most of the patients that Dr. Karen Ho and her staff have performed dental implant procedures on are amazed afterwards at how much they feel and perform like natural teeth.
What Can I Expect when Getting Dental Implants?
Getting dental implants is a gradual process involving office visits over several months. These are the proven steps we use at Palm View Dental:
- Mouth X-rays and impressions (molds) are taken of your teeth and jaw to determine the location of bone and gum tissue, along with available spacing for the implant.
- Next, the area is numbed and the implant surgically-implanted into the bone. The implant itself is a replacement tooth with a prosthetic root, usually titanium.
- A healing period of up to 6 months is then required. Based upon the type of implant, a second surgery may be necessary to insert the “post” that will anchor the artificial teeth.
- Another period of healing then takes place for up to several weeks. During this break, artificial teeth are carefully created and fitted to the post portion of the anchor. Because several fittings may be involved, this step could take up to 2 months.
- After the healing period is complete, your new artificial teeth are securely attached to the implant, resulting in optimal stability and comfort to you, the patient.
- Our staff will then provide you with follow-up care instructions, including good oral hygiene, eating habits, and the importance of regular dental office visits to ensure the longevity and performance of your implants.
Once the implant process is completed, you’ll enjoy a beautiful, natural-looking smile for many years to come, along with renewed self-confidence and an end to your mouth discomfort! For more information about restoring your smile with dental implants, or to schedule a free consultation with Dr. Karen Ho, contact Palm View Dental in Alamosa today at: (626) 782-7200!